The Melissa Zone Forum Index The Melissa Zone
The ultimate Melissa Joan Hart fan site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Witch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Melissa Zone Forum Index -> News Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zippy!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Which Witch Reply with quote

http://tv.zap2it.com/shows/features/features.html?28337

Which Witch
Fri, Oct 4, 2002 02:39 PM PDT

by Kate O'Hare
Zap2it

While witch Willow (Alyson Hannigan) of UPNā¬"s "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" spent last season being addicted to spell-casting, losing her lover in a tragic shooting, going berserk and nearly destroying the world, primetime's other magic acts have been having upheavals of their own.

It was a rough year for the good sibling witches of The WB's "Charmed," as they adjusted to losing one sister (Shannen Doherty), gaining a new one (Rose McGowan), and nearly bringing an evil infant into the world (saved by the bell on that one).

Meanwhile, The WB's Friday-night comedy "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch" ended its sixth season with its heroine (Melissa Joan Hart) going to pieces -- literally. Then, not content with splintering its main character, the show overhauled itself from top to bottom over the summer, returning in September with a new show-runner (David Babcock), a new writing staff and a whole new way of life for Sabrina Spellman.

Despite the show's title (kept by mandate of Archie Comics, which owns the rights to all things "Sabrina" ), Sabrina is now a young woman, out of college and on her own. She landed a job at hot music magazine Scorch and desperately has been trying to fit in -- but don't expect success anytime soon.

"She's not necessarily the hippest person at the music magazine," says series executive producer Paula Hart (who also happens to be the star's mother). "She will learn to be a little more cool. She feels more out of place at this hip magazine than if she was working at the New York Times."

Meanwhile, things are just as topsy-turvy at home. Sabrina's longtime magical mentors and caretakers, her Aunts Hilda and Zelda (Caroline Rhea and Beth Broderick), have moved on, leaving their house in Sabrina's care, who now cohabits with pals Roxie (Soleil Moon Frye), a radio-show host, and former rich girl Morgan (Elisa Donovan), who continues to work in the fashion industry.

This makes life more complex for Sabrina, as she struggles to keep her magic a secret, not to mention preventing her housemates from realizing her cat, Salem, is really a two-legged warlock in a four-legged disguise.

"I didn't want the aunts dictating to Sabrina any more," says Hart. "I was
watching over the summer, all these old reruns, and no matter what season it was, no matter what trouble Sabrina got into, she always ran home to the aunts and they fixed it for her."

"Now she's got to stand on her own two feet. It gives us an opportunity to
really see what she can do. Is she going to rely on magic all the time? Is she going to solve things in a more grown-up way, or is she going just going to screw things up? And she screws things up a lot."

Time marches on as well for 26-year-old Melissa Joan Hart, who starred in the early '90s on Nickelodeon's "Clarissa Explains It All." She's happily dating Mark Wilkinson, the lead singer of the group Course of Nature (guest starring on "Sabrina" this year).

"We were in Monaco for the Laureus World Sports Awards," says her mother. "She had met this guy maybe a week or two before. There was a prince that came up to Melissa and was all about her. He wouldn't leave her alone at these parties."

"She came up to me and said, 'Mom, I don't want to be a princess. I want to be a rock star's girlfriend.' That was so funny."

Apparently, having a rock musician in the family has not been a problem. "I saw the movie 'Rock Star,'" says Paula Hart, "and he's not that. He's much more based in reality. He's a real person with goals and ambitions, and he's not into all that partying that goes on. That's not Melissa's scene either, so they're actually very good for each other. They hide out a lot."

But sometimes they go out. "She was traveling on the tour bus with them for most of the summer," Hart says. "She became Band-Aid. But she's having a good time with him."

Despite her heartbreak at the end of last season, Sabrina is toying with romance with cocky co-worker Cole (Andrew Walker), and there are more sparks to come.

"We're just breaking a story for sweeps," Hart says, "in which they have to go onto one of these dating shows to get the story, and they're going to end up in the big kiss at the end. Gotta have that for sweeps! That's what people want to see."

The restrictions placed on the show by Archie Comics have kept Sabrina's
romances at the kissing stage -- and that includes longtime pal and confidante Harvey (Nate Richert) -- and that's not likely to change right away.

"We'll see where this season takes us," Hart says, "with her being single and out on her own. It's not so bad being a virgin -- you don't have to worry about all those diseases and stuff."

"I have seven children, and I don't mind teaching my teenage daughters that you don't have to sleep with every guy."

Hart says The WB is not interested in crossovers between "Sabrina" and any of its other shows, but fans can ponder what might have been if the teenage witch had met the vampire-with-a-soul on "Angel."

"We wanted Angel on the show," Hart says. "We did a vampire episode last year, and we wanted David Boreanaz to play the vampire, but The WB wouldn't let us."

CYBERSPATIAL ANOMALIES: For a look at what Melissa Joan Hart looks like when she's not Sabrina, try the "Melissa Joan Hart Picture Pages" at
www.superiorpics.com/melissa_joan_hart/. This includes a spread Hart did for Maxim magazine that didn't exactly thrill the folks at Archie Comics."

http://www.superiorpics.com/melissa_joan_hart/
Mr. Green
DOOM DEMON

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...very interesting Very Happy
orudge
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I just read that on the Clarissa mailing list and was just about to come here to post it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Melissa Zone Forum Index -> News Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: